Cheers to summer vibes & the most vacation-esk cocktail ever, the Mai Tai! Saturday is National Mai Tai Day and this fruity & tropical gem combines a barrage of feel-good flavors with a light and refreshing finish, perfect for summer, or vacation, or literally any time that you just feel like sipping on something sweet and yummy. It’s a “take it easy” cocktail…not too hard and not too soft, although depending on your tastes, you can customize it to be one or the other. Shout out to Eder Photo for encouraging me to expand my horizons by drinking something other than whiskey – you win, Eder, this is damn good. Check out our version of this gah-lorious summer cocktail by scrolling down and as always, enjoy!
- 2 Oz. Spiced Rum
- 2 Oz. Pineapple Juice
- 2 Oz. Orange Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Triple Sec (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice (optional)
- 1 Dash Grenadine
- Ice Cubes
- Optional Garnish: Cherries, oranges, or flowers (our favorite!)
- In a cocktail shaker, combine rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, triple sec, lime juice, and grenadine and top with cubed ice. Shake.
- In a rocks glass, strain cocktail over cubed ice (we used one large ice chunk instead to reduce watering down the cocktail).
- Garnish with cherries, oranges, flowers, mini cocktail umbrellas…whatever gets you to your vacation dreamland.
- A traditional Mai Tai is four things – rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, and grenadine. Everything else is a variation. Sticking to the basics can be just as yummy or let your freak flag fly and customize the cocktail to how you like!
- If you’re not a fan of sweet, this probably isn’t the cocktail for you. However, we suggest upping the rum and reducing the juice, triple sec, and grenadine to taste.
All photography by Eder Photo
If you haven’t already, check out more yummy and seasonal cocktails via our cocktail recipe series on the blog!