Happy National Mint Julep Day! The signature drink of the Kentucky Derby, this refreshing and boozy cocktail is perfect for derby and summer days alike. The best part (aside from bourbon being the main ingredient, of course), is that it is extraordinarily easy to create! We went with the traditional straight and simple version of this recipe but included some hints & tips towards the bottom of how to customize this cocktail and make it your own (we added lime to ours!). As always, enjoy!
- 1 Sugar Cube (or 1 Tablespoon sugar)
- 5-10 Fresh Mint Leaves
- 3 Oz. Bourbon (We used Bulleit Bourbon)
- Crushed Ice
- Optional Garnish: Mint Sprigs
- Place sugar cube, mint leaves (we started with 5), and 1 oz. bourbon in a mint julep metal cup, rocks glass, or tumbler (we used a mason jar). Muddle until sugar is completely dissolved. If you’re having a difficult time dissolving the sugar, add a little bit of soda water to help liquify a bit.
- Once muddled, add additional 2 oz. of bourbon and stir.
- Fill glass with crushed ice and garnish with a mint sprig!
- Bourbon is the main ingredient of this cocktail so choosing a high quality liquor is key.
- If you feel that the drink is too sweet, add more soda water before adding ice.
- There are so many ways to customize this cocktail! We suggest muddling in lime, cucumber, or peach to add more flavor! Also, why not make it a slushy? Blend these ingredients together in a blender for a full-on vacation vibes! Or, add in brandy for more complex flavors!
All photography by Eder Photo
If you haven’t already, check out more yummy and seasonal cocktails via our cocktail recipe series on the blog!